Our Know-how and Services
As a leading chemical company, BASF has the expertise and experience to improve the quality and processing of bitumen and asphalt in a unique, innovative and customer-oriented way.
We currently offer a complete portfolio of modifiers for cold to hot asphalt applications.
The effectiveness of the existing solutions is constantly being improved and further modifications are being developed:
- Wetting agents for a good connection between the bitumen phase and the stones in the asphalt.
- Rheology and elasticity modifier additives that improve the stability and elasticity of asphalt to keep the road surface sufficiently flexible in freezing winter temperatures and to stop tracks from forming on the surface on hot summer days
- Rejuvenators and binding additives that improve the bitumen properties of the recycled asphalt.
In addition, we offer you a dedicated team that will help you with your technical questions in accordance with the national regulations. Just get in touch!
BASF in Ludwigshafen, Germany, is our EMEA Center of Excellence for bitumen/asphalt polymer and additives modification. This EMEA headquarters manages all product and system research and development matters, as well as providing customers with technical sales, service, and marketing support.
We will be delighted to work closely with you to find out the best possible solutions for your applications.
In addition, BASF is represented in many EMEA countries with regional offices and account managers who know their way round asphalt and bitumen and can of course provide you with additional information, usually in your native language. Please contact us so that we can forward your inquiry to the right person.
Research and Development
BASF's R&D and technical customer service laboratories in Ludwigshafen offer our customer a broad portfolio of expertise in the field of bitumen emulsions and hot mix asphalt modification:
- Latex polymer synthesis and formulation along with their comprehensive chemical characterization
- Preparation of bitumen emulsions and their characterization
- In-house bitumen modification of hot and cold mix asphalt and full testing of the binder properties (DSR, BBR, ductilometer, RTFOT, softening point, needle penetration, etc.)
- In-house testing of binder-aggregate interactions (e.g. Rolling Bottle test)
- Analysis of binder composition (e.g. SARA analysis) and of binder-additive interactions (physico-chemical characterizations)