BASF is delighted that you have visited our website and thanks you for your interest in our company.
BASF takes data protection seriously. This Privacy Statement describes:
- the personal data BASF collects when you visit our website
- the purposes for which BASF uses such data
- the legal basis for the processing of personal data
- the recipients of such personal data
- the period for which such personal data will be stored
- whether you are obliged to provide personal data
Furthermore, we would like to inform you about:
- the existence of your rights regarding the processing of your personal data
- the Controller in the meaning of data protection laws and, where applicable, our Data Protection Officer
1. What personal data does BASF collect when you visit our website?
(1) When you visit our website without contacting us or signing in, your browser transmits the following information automatically to our server:
- IP address of your computer
- Information about your browser
- Website that you were on right before you landed on our website
- URL or file requested
- Date and time of your visit
- Volume of data transmitted
- Status information, e.g. error messages
(2) If you contact us by email or by contact form on our website, we receive the following information:
- Your email address and further information that you provide by email or contact form
- Date and time of your message
2. To what extent and for what purposes does BASF process such data?
(1) When you visit our website, we use your IP address and the other data that your browser transmits automatically to our server (see Section 1 (1)) in order to:
a) send the requested content to your browser. In doing so, we store the complete IP address only to the extent necessary to serve the requested content to you.
b) protect us from attacks and to safeguard the proper operation of our website. In doing so, we store said data transiently and with restricted access for a maximum period of 180 days. Such period may be extended if and to the extent necessary to prosecute attacks and incidents.
BASF will investigate the user of an IP address only in case of an illegal attack.
(2) We store the IP address of your computer after having removed the last octet of the IP address, i.e. in anonymous form, for web audience measuring that allows us to improve our website. We remove the last octet of the IP address immediately after collection. That is why we do not collect personal data about your use of our website.
(3) If you contact us by email or by contact form on our website, we use the data under Section 1 (2) to answer and, if possible, to meet your request. We store such data to the extent necessary to answer and meet your request.
(4) If you submit to our newsletter, we process your personal data under Section 1 (2) for the purpose of sending the newsletter to you. We store such data until you unsubscribe from the newsletter.
(5) If you open the newsletter or articles in our newsletter, we collect the click rate on an anonymous basis by using a tracking pixel which is embedded in the newsletter. The pixel registers your click rate and combines them with a non-user, but newsletter-related related ID. We hereby learn more about which contents our readers prefer by receiving an anonymous and aggregated report, so that we can adjust our newsletter’s content. You may object this processing by unsubscribing from the newsletter.
3. Are you required to provide the data? Are you entitled to object to processing?
When you visit our website, your browser transmits the information under Section 1 (1) automatically to our server. You are free to transmit such data. Without providing such data we are not able to serve you the requested content.
If you want to contact us by email or by contact form on our website, you are free to transmit the data under Section 1 (2). We will mark mandatory fields, if any, of a contact form. Without providing the required data you may prevent us from answering and meeting your request properly.
If you subscribe to our newsletter, you may unsubscribe from it every time. For this, it is sufficient to click on the "Unsubscribe"-Link.
4. What is the legal basis for the processing?
The legal basis for the processing under Section 2 is point (f) of Article 6 (1) General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The legitimate interests are determined by the purposes described under Section 2. The legal basis for sending the newsletter to you is your consent according to point (a) of Article 1 GDPR.
5. To what recipients do we transmit your data?
Within our company, only persons and departments are granted access to your personal data as far as they need it to fulfil the abovementioned purposes. If it is necessary, we also transmit your personal data to the responsible BASF group companies in order to provide you with an efficient and customized service. You can find a list of BASF group companies here.
We also involve service providers. These service providers will only act on our instructions and are contractually obliged to comply with the applicable data protection requirements.
Otherwise, we will only pass on your data to third parties if:
- you have given your express consent in accordance with Art. 6 para. 1 sentence 1 lit. a GDPR,
- the disclosure pursuant to Art. 6 para. 1 sentence 1 lit. f GDPR is necessary for the assertion, exercise or defense of legal claims and there is no reason to assume that you have an overriding interest worthy of protection in not disclosing your data,
- there is a legal obligation for us to pass on the data in accordance with Art. 6 para. 1 sentence 1 lit. c GDPR, or
- this is legally permissible and, in accordance with Art. 6 para. 1 sentence 1 lit. b GDPR, is necessary for the fulfilment of contractual relationships with you.
A transfer of your personal data to service providers in a third country will only take place if the special requirements of Art. 44 ff. GDPR are fulfilled. If and to the extent service providers are located in a third country, it may be that either the servers of the respective service provider are located in the third country or that the servers are located in the EU, but accessed in cases of support from a third country. Some third countries do not have a level of data protection adequate to that of the EU, e.g. the USA or China, as authorities might have simplified access to personal data in a simplified manner or that there are limited rights to such actions. If and to the extent you give consent, you expressly give consent to the transfer of personal data into the respective third country.
6. How do we protect your personal data?
BASF implemented technical and organizational measures to ensure an appropriate level of security to protect your personal data against accidental or unlawful alteration, destruction, loss or unauthorized disclosure. Such measures will be continuously enhanced in line with technological developments.
(1) The following cookies are important for the smooth operation and specific services of our website:
|Session Persistence (CLIENT CONTEXT and PROFILE DATA)||Allows us to save preferences that you set during your visit on our website.||Will be erased as soon as you clear your cache (or one year after your visit)|
|Session Persistence (Cookie Disclaimer)||This cookie stores your acknowledgement of and consent to any disclaimers on our website.||Will be erased as soon as you clear your cache (or one year after your visit)|
|TS<pool_name>||This cookie enables us to distribute the load of requests of our users properly to our servers. It facilitates the stability of our website.||Will be erased as soon as you close your browser|
(2) Cookies for web audience measuring:
|ACOOKIE||This cookie allows the web analytics tool Webtrends to collect anonymous information about how our website is used. Such anonymous information shows us inter alia how many people visited our website, the websites that the users were on right before they landed on our website and which pages they visited.||Will be erased two years after your visit|
|WT_FPC||By default, Webtrends tracks visitors across the primary domain and all subdomains. This is done by setting a first party cookie on your primary domain with the leading dot, which allows sub-domains to also read this cookie.||Will be erased two years after your visit|
|Id||We use the DoubleClick cookie to collect data regarding user interaction with ad impressions and other ad service functions as they relate to our website.||Will be erased two years after your visit|
|utag_main||The Tealium Tag Management library creates and maintains a single cookie called utag_main. Within that cookie are several built-in calues that keep track of anonymous visitor session. Like a unique identifier for the session and a Unix/Epoch time stamp in milliseconds.||Will be erased one year after your visit|
|D41ID||We use this cookie from Dun and Bradstreet to derive anonymous information concerning businesses visiting our websites.||Will be erased one your after your visit|
You may use your browser settings to decide which cookies to accept and to decline. Please be aware that you may not be able to use all features of our website if you decline cookies under Section 7 (1).
8. Google Ads campaign analytics
We work with the search engine operator Google LLC, Mountain View, California, USA, so that customers can find our websites and offers more easily using search engines. As a result, our website and products are particularly highlighted or displayed in the Google search if you enter certain key words in the Google search.
The links shown in the search results that lead to our pages are enriched with parameters. This enables us to evaluate the success rate of the campaign using Google search. This method processes the following information when the link is clicked:
Information to identify which campaign was the origin of the click:
• medium (at_medium)
• campaign ID (at_campaign)
• platform (at_platform)
• ad format (at_creation)
• ad variant (at_variant)
• search term (at_term)
The link is evaluated by the range measurement and analytics tool AT Internet, about which you can find more information in the section on cookies. No cookies are set as part of this analysis. The legal basis for this data processing is Art. 6 Para. 1 lit. f) GDPR.
9. LinkedIn advertising
For the purposes of creating attention and awareness for our products, we utilize the LinkedIn Campaign Manager provided by LinkedIn Ireland Unlimited Company, Wilton Place, Dublin 2, Ireland ("LinkedIn"). By using the LinkedIn Campaign Manager, we define target groups based on the following criteria:
• Location (e.g. country, region, city)
• Company (e.g. company industries, names, size)
• Interests (e.g. member groups, interests)
• Job experience (e.g. job titles, functions, seniority, skills)
• Education (e.g. degrees, schools, fields of study)
• Demographics (e.g. gender, age)
Based on its algorithm, LinkedIn will display our content on its platform to its users fitting to the defined target group. We will not define too narrow target groups or address our content only to a handful or less individuals. The legal basis for this kind of processing is Art. 6 Sec. 1 lit. f) GDPR.
You can find more information about the usage of LinkedIn at BASF here.
10. LinkedIn Lead Generation
We store your personal data in the LinkedIn Campaign Manager provided by LinkedIn Ireland Unlimited Company, Wilton Place, Dublin 2, Ireland ("LinkedIn"). In cases of technical support, teams of LinkedIn Inc., 1000 W Maude, Sunnyvale, CA 94085, USA, might access your personal data. The USA are a country which does not have a level of data protection comparable to that of the EU. If you subscribe to our content, you expressly consent to the transmission of your personal data into the USA.
The legal basis for the aforementioned processing is your consent, Art. 6 Sec. 1 lit. a) GDPR. You can revoke your consent any time by sending a message to the BASF representative you may be contacted by.
11. What rights do you have?
You have certain rights under the General Data Protection Regulation including the right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you, if you request it from us in writing:
8.2. Right to correct: if your personal information is inaccurate or incomplete you have the right to have your personal information rectified;
8.3. Right to erasure: this is also known as ‘the right to be forgotten’ and, in simple terms, enables you to request the deletion or removal of your information where there’s no compelling reason for us to keep using it. This is not a general right to erasure; there are exceptions. For example, we have the right to continue using your personal data if such use is necessary for compliance with our legal obligations or for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims;
8.4. Right to restrict our use of your information: the right to suspend the usage of your personal information or limit the way in which we can use it. Please note that this right is limited in certain situations: When we are processing your personal information that we collected from you with your consent you can only request restriction on the basis of: (a) inaccuracy of data; (b) where our processing is unlawful and you don’t want your personal information erased; (c) you need it for a legal claim; or (d) if we no longer need to use the data for the purposes for which we hold it. When processing is restricted, we can still store your information, but may not use it further. We keep lists of people who have asked for restriction of the use of their personal information to make sure the restriction is respected in future;
8.5. Right to data portability: the right to request that we move, copy or transfer (where technically feasible) your personal information in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, for your own purposes across different services;
8.6. Right to object: the right to object to our use of your personal information including where we use it for our legitimate interests, direct marketing;
8.7. Right to be informed: you have the right to be provided with clear, transparent and easily understandable information about how we use your personal information; and
8.8. Right to withdraw consent: if you have given your consent to anything we do with your personal information, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time (although if you do so, it does not mean that anything we have done with your personal information with your consent up to that point is unlawful).
The exercise of these rights is free of charge for you, however, you are required to prove your identity with 2 pieces of approved identification. We will use reasonable efforts consistent with our legal duty to supply, correct or delete personal information about you on our files.
When we receive formal written complaints, we will contact the person who made the complaint to follow up. We work with the appropriate regulatory authorities, including local data protection authorities, to resolve any complaints that we cannot resolve directly.
If you are not satisfied with the way any complaint you make in relation to your personal information is handled by us then you may refer your complaint to the relevant data protection supervisory authority.
12. Where can you lodge a complaint?
You have the right to lodge a complaint with our Data Protection Officer (for contact details see below) or with a supervisory authority, in particular in the Member State of your habitual residence, place of work or place of the alleged infringement. Or you can contact our Lead Data Protection Authority:
Der Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz und die Informationsfreiheit Rheinland-Pfalz
Hintere Bleiche 34
13. Who is Controller and Data Protection Officer?
You can find the Controller in the meaning of data protection laws here. https://www.basf.com/global/en/legal/credits.html
Our Data Protection Officer is:
EU Data Protection Officer of BASF
+49 (0) 621 60-0
14. Privacy of Children
This Website is intended to be used by persons aged 18 and older. We do not seek to collect information about persons under the age of 18.
No information should be submitted to or posted on the Websites by persons younger than 18 years of age. If such a person submits personal information via the Websites, we shall delete that information as soon as we are made aware of their age and thereafter shall not use it for any purpose whatsoever.