Formulators rely on BASF defoamer technologies to meet the most demanding standards of excellence – such as those in automotive coatings. Our lineup ranges from products based on mineral oils or native oils, specialty-emulsions and organosilicone-based solutions to silicone-free and star-polymer defoamers. The additives are characterized by excellent foam suppression and micro-foam removal, high compatibility, long-term efficiency and easy handling in perfect balance. The range also includes solutions for environmental compliance such as VOC-free, low S-VOC and low odor foam suppressants. Our FoamStar® polymer technology defoams on a molecular level, resulting in shorter bubble-break times and improved overall efficiency.
Most defoamers are characterized by a delicate balance between compatibility and incompatibility in a given system. The active ingredient must be almost insoluble in the paint formulation, and able to form small defoamer droplets that migrate into the foam lamellae. To ensure long-term defoaming efficiency, the defoamer droplets need to remain stable in the system and not be absorbed or dissolved in storage. At the same time, a defoamer must be sufficiently compatible with the binder to ensure that no surface defects such as craters are generated in the final paint film due to incompatibility.
One of the outstanding innovations the BASF defoamer portfolio is our award-winning FoamStar technology. It is based on a hyper-branched polymer with a 3-dimensional star-shaped structure, containing hydrophilic as well as hydrophobic elements. Unlike conventional mineral-oil and silicone defoamers, FoamStar® technology breaks down foam on a molecular level. It acts as a unique surfactant interacting with the foam-related surfactants and destabilizes the foam bubbles. When combined with conventional defoamer types, it accelerates bubble-break times and boosts efficiency.
BASF defoamers product range for water-based systems
BASF defoamers product range for solvent-based systems
Feel free to connect with the specialists at BASF Performance and Formulation Additives for support you in finding the right defoamers for your formulations.
- Broad selection of defoamer technologies including products based on mineral oils or native oils, as well as specialty-emulsion defoamers, organo-silcome-based and silcone-free products, and star-polymer defoamers
- Focused on establishing a perfect balance between excellent foam surpression, high compatibility, long-term efficiency, easy handling, and environmental compliance in the form of VOC-free, low S-VOC and low odor solutions.
- VOC-free in accordance with EU 2004/42 and US-EPA Method 24
- Does not contain mineral oils
- Best-in-class with ultra-low SVOC
- Free of colors
- Environmentally sound polymer technology
- Designed to be used in paints with pro-environmental labelling (Blue Angel, Ecolabel, German TÜV)
Practical Guides for BASF Defoamers