BASF’s synthetic rheology modifiers include non-ionic associative (HEUR/HMPE), anionic associative (HASE) and nonassociative thickener (ASE) technologies. Our focus is on highly efficient additives for water-based systems. Our rheology modifiers also provide additional functionalities like wetting properties and health or environmental benefits such as suitability for formulations low in VOCs, odors, free of APEO and tin.
Rheology modifiers from BASF effectively reduce dripping and spattering of paints during roller or brush application. Sag resistance is improved by a rapid but controlled viscosity increase after application. They also reliably prevent sedimentation of pigments during transport and storage of the paints.
We offer six classes of rheological additives for paints and coatings:
- Alkali swellable emulsions (ASE)
- Hydrophobically modified alkali swellable emulsions (HASE)
- Hydrophobically modified polyurethanes (HEUR)
- Hydrophobically modified polyethers (HMPE)
- Attapulgites (inorganic rheology modifiers)
- Castor oil, wax and urea based thixotropes
Each product class has its own properties and applications. Our Rheovis® PU and PE series of associative thickeners stand out as a class of groundbreaking additives based primarily on hydrophobically modified polyether and polyurethane derivatives.
At BASF Performance and Formulation Additives, you will find experts who understand your specific needs and are glad to support you in finding the right rheology modifiers for your formulations.
- Broad range of rheology profiles
- High efficiency across many resin types
- pH-independency (PU / PE)
- Improved sustainability
- Improved wash and scrub-resistance
- Low impact on water-uptake / whitening
- Excellent leveling and sag resistance
- Reduced spattering